Categories
Main pages

Privacy Policy

We only hold your contact details such as email, telephone and postal address.


These are solely used to inform you about St. Barrahane’s Church Festival of Music and related
activities.


We do not share any of your information with other parties without first obtaining your consent.


Should you have any queries or complaints, please contact the Data Protection Officer

Name: Jacqueline Weij
Email: barrahanemusic@outlook.ie
Telephone: +353 (0)86 226 4797
Postal Address: Bawnlahan, Myross Cottage 747, Union Hall, Co. Cork, P81 NY95

Categories
2022 Home Page Main pages

Arthur Greene – Organ Kevin Meehan – Violin

Friday 2 September 2022, 8 pm, St. Barrahane’s Church, Castletownshend
Arthur Greene – organ & Kevin Meehan – violin

Tickets €15, online, at the door, at Thornhill Electrical, Skibbereen or text/call 086 226 4797


Programme

Toccata in F major BuxWV157         Dietrich Buxtehude (1637-1707)

   Organ

Sonata in D major J. H. Schmeltzer (?-1680)

   Violin and organ

Chaccone in F minor Johann Pachelbel (1653-1706)

   Organ

Passacaglia in G minor Heinrich Biber (1644-1704)

   Violin

Chaccone in C minor          Buxtehude

   Organ

Short break

Chaccone in E minor               Dietrich Buxtehude

   Organ

Improvisation

   Violin and organ

Chaccone in D minor                Johann Pachelbel

   Organ

Sonata no. 2 in D major from the ‘Frankfurter Sonatas’

                  G.P Telemann (1681-1767)

   Violin and organ

Kevin Meehan is currently taking the Bachelors in Music Performance at the Royal Irish Academy of Music in Dublin, where he studies baroque and modern violin with Claire Duff and Mia Cooper respectively.

Kevin has a special interest in baroque music, and is a member of the Irish Youth Baroque Orchestra. He is the former leader of Waterford Symphony Orchestra, and amongst other groups, he has also performed with Wexford Sinfonia and the Royal Irish Academy of Music Philharmonia. He has participated in masterclasses with Bróna Cahill and David Edmonds.

Kevin has performed many public concerts with chamber ensembles and quartets around Ireland, and has lead multiple baroque chamber groups at the Royal Irish Academy of Music.

This month, Kevin will fly to Croatia with the other members of the Irish Youth Barroque Orchestra to play in a baroque festival in Varaždin.

Arthur Greene began playing the organ at the age of sixteen having already played the piano for many years. In 2015 he moved to Dublin from his native Kildare to read music at Trinity College Dublin. He held the title of organ scholar to the college for three consecutive years from 2017 – 2020, working under the director of chapel music, Dr. Kerry Heuston.

In 2019 he went to study full time in the Royal Irish Academy of Music completing a Masters in performance under Dr. David Adams. He continued to study composition and also took up the harpsichord during this time. He completed his studies in 2021 and was awarded an overall distinction. Although his main focus during his masters was in the baroque music of the 17th and early 18th century he enjoys performing across many genres including jazz and free improvisation.

He is the current organ scholar at Christ Church Cathedral in Dublin. Alongside this he works as a teacher, performer and composer.

Categories
Info Pages Main pages

St. Barrahane’s Church, Castletownshend

St. Barrahane’s Church, Castletownshend, Co. Cork, Ireland.

In the Parish of Castlehaven.

History.

This parish first appears in the decretal epistle of Pope Innocent III (1199) as Glenberchin.

In the visitation book of 1615 it is called Glenbarahan.

The patron saint has been identified with Berehan, son of Man of Sil Ludach Laidhe.

The eastern gable of the original Church still stands in the old graveyard at Castlehaven, at the south-western end of the harbour.

Owing to a movement of the Protestant population eastwards to the village then forming, now called Castletownshend, a petition was sent in 1756 to the Lord Lieutenant and his Majesty’s Privy Council of Ireland asking permission to build a church more in the centre of the parish “owing to the danger of shipwreck suffered by the devout on their way to church in winter”.

This petition was granted the same year by the Lords Justice and Council of Ireland and a church was built on the existing site in 1761. An acre of land for the church and graveyard was sold to the parish by Richard Townsend for the nominal price of five shillings.

This Church cannot have been well built or maintained as there is an entry in the minute book of the Select Vestry, dated 19th April, 1824, which reads: “Resolved that from the ruinous state of the present Church it is absolutely expedient that a new one be built.” The present church was therefor built on the same site, in 1826, at a cost of £1,384. 12s3¾d.

On December 16th 1976 a service of thanksgiving was held for the 150 years of use of the present Church. At this sesquicentenary service, the sermon was preached by the then Primate of all Ireland, the Most Reverend Dr. G. O. Simms. There was a large congregation of many denominations.

Patronage.

The ancient patrons of the living were the chiefs of the O’Driscoll Clan. After the rebellion in1601 and subsequent flight to Spain it was granted alternately to the Bishop of Ross and the British Crown. This arrangement continued until the disestablishment of the Church of Ireland in 1870.

Building.

The architect was James Pain, Provincial Architect.

The Church is built of stone from Horse Island. This is the larger island at the mouth of the harbour. For some unknown reason it was most clearly stated in the specification that no American timber was to be used anywhere in the Church. Originally it had the high box pews, each with its own door, that were normal at the period. These were replaced by the present pews in 1889.

Church Approaches.

There are fifty-two steps up to the Church, one for every Sunday of the year. The iron arches and handrail are of local craftsmanship, the former in the memory of Mrs. Elizabeth Chavasse and the latter in memory of the Vice-Admiral Boyle Somerville, C.M.G. and Mrs. Somerville of the Point House.

Church Doors.

The outer Church doors, erected in 1950 and made of teak, are in memory of the Very Reverend Harry Becher, late Dean of Ross and Mrs. Becher. He was Rector of this Parish from 1891-1914. The inner doors erected in 1948 are of oak and are in memory of Major Henry Chavasse of Seafield.

The Porch.

Here is an oar from a ship’s boat of “SS Lusitania” sunk by enemy action in 1915, not far from the harbour. It stands here in memory of the many drowned passengers and crew who were brought into the harbour.

Windows.

The East Window:

This represents the Blessed Virgin and the Child Christ. On their right are the Three Kings with their gifts of gold, Frankincense and Myrrh. On the left are the Shepherds with St. Joseph in the background. The three Saints in the headlights are St. Brigid, one of the patron saints of Ireland, St. Fachtna, founder of the diocese of Ross, and St. Barrahane, patron saint of this parish. The window is by Harry Clarke of Dublin (1889-1931) one of the greatest glass craftsmen of modern times. It was substituted (by permission) for an earlier window that was erected in 1872 by Thomas Somerville, D.L. of Drishane House, in this parish, in memory of his wife, Henrietta Townsend of Castletownshend. The present window was given in the year 1915 by the grandchildren of Mr. and Mrs. Somerville to the memory of their grandparents.

Window in the South Wall of the Chancel:

Here is a small window of exceptional beauty also by Harry Clarke. It is in memory of Sir Egerton Coghill, Bart., of Glenbarrahane, himself a painter, and represents St. Luke the Apostle, patron of painters. Note the head of the Blessed Virgin sketched on the palette in the Saint’s hand. Round the central figure in miniature are the figures of St. John, St. Fidelis (name-day saint of Sir Egerton), St. Barrahane holding the Church and St. Cecilia seated at her organ.

The Eastern Window on the North Side:

This is a memorial to LT. Col. Thomas henry Somerville Drishane. It represents Archangels Gabriel ad Michael (the Messenger of the Lord and Captain of the Heavenly hosts respectively). The details of the wings, armour and vestments are worthy of note, especially the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. The window is by Powell of London.

The Eastern Most window on the South Side

Is in memory of the Colonel’s wife Adelaide, born Coghill. It represents Hope and Charity and is also by Powell.

Second Window on the South Side:

This is a memorial to Sir Joscelyn Coghill, Bart., and to his eldest son, Lieu. Neville Coghill, V.C., who died saving the colours of his regiment, the first Battalion of the 24th Foot (which later became the South Wales Borderers), at the battle of Isandlwhana against the Zulu’s. The two figures are those of St. Patrick and St. George. Between them may be seen the Irish Sea. This is another Powell window.

Third Window on the South Side is in memory of Colonel Kendall Coghill, C.B. a veteran of the Indian Mutiny. On the left can be seen St. Louis (Louis IX, King of France), an ancestor of Colonel Coghill. Over the head of the Saint are the poor men who used to fed at his table and, in the headlight is the ship in which he sailed to the east to fight the infidels, and the angels who guarded his ship. On the right is St. Martin of Tours, patron of soldiers. He was met by a poor beggar asking for clothing. St. Martin promptly cut his cloak I two with his sword, giving half to the beggar who kneels in the foreground. In the headlight can be seen the flaming sword of St. Martin. The window is also by Harry Clarke.

The bronze chandeliers, also the stone tablet on the North Wall are in memory of Dr. E. Œ. Somerville, Litt. D. The latter was designed by W.H. Sharpington. Both were subscribed for by the Doctor’s many American admirers.

Dr. Somerville is buried on the bank at the east end of the Church. Her grave is marked by a rough country stone, which she had chosen herself. Her lifelong friend and collaborator, Violet Martin (Martin Ross) lies beside her.

A symposium of the life and work of Somerville and Ross was organised by the parish in 1984.

The Chancel.

The holy table is of oak and very ancient, the greater part being worked with an adze and not a plane. The reredos will repay examination. On the right are the soldiers sleeping outside the empty tomb. Below the retable are two men in prayer.

The Holy Table and reredos had previously been in the hall of Shanacourt, a house in the village. Their earlier history is unknown but some believe they came from the original Parish Church. The whole is of great antiquity and was presented to the Church in memory of Violet Martin, by her friend and cousin, Dr. E. Œ. Somerville.

The Cross on the Holy Table was presented in 1964 in memory of Capt. Henry Owen Dabridgecourt Becher. It was made by Egan of Cork. Previously Canon 36 of the Church of Ireland forbade a Cross in this position.

The Floor Mosaic was designed by Dr. E. Œ. Somerville. It is based on Celtic symbols and decorations and includes the fish (the primitive symbol of the holy name), and two representations of the Ardagh Chalice. It was laid in 1925 by Rust & Co. of England. Most of the gold mosaic had to be replaced in 1964.

The Baptistery.

This is on the north side of the Church. It was originally the private pew of the Townshends of the Castle and the present Vestry was their anteroom. The font cover is in memory of Mrs. Judith Isabel Chavasse of Seafield. It is a copy, made in Rosscarbery, of an ancient font cover in St. Mary’s Collegiate Church, Youghal. Around the baptistery are stalls, which bear the arms of some incumbents of the parish. Two boards bearing their names hang in the baptistery. The cushions were made by the ladies of the parish. The large marble memorial on the west wall is a history of the Townshend family. It was erected in 1903 by Mrs. Geraldine Henrietta Townshend Mundy. (N.B.  Since 1870 some branches of the Townsend family have spelt their name Townshend.)

The Organ Loft.

The Organ, which was built by Foster & Andrews of Hull in 1872 and installed at a cost of £168.0.6d., carries a plaque stating that Dr. E. Œ. Somerville acted as organist for seventy years, from 1875 to 1945. It was restored in 1957 in memory of Jane Townsend of the Red House.

June 1996.

Categories
Info Pages

Festival History

PURPOSE AND HISTORY OF THE FESTIVAL


Purpose of the Festival:
1. promoting high quality classical music, old and new
2. giving enjoyment to locals and tourist
3. providing a stage for artists, established as well as aspiring ones, especially from the Cork School of Music


History:
The Festival of Classical Music was started in 1980 by Michael Sokolov-Grant with the help of Angela Eborall in the historic St. Barrahane’s Church, Castletownshend, Co. Cork with the purpose of providing music on summer evenings, and has taken place annually ever since.
The Church was built in 1826, on land donated by the Townshend family.
From street level to the door it has 52 steps, one for each Sunday of the year. The seating capacity is around 200.The Church has three wonderful stained glass windows by the renowned Irish artist Harry Clarke (1889 – 1931).


The writer Edith Somerville, who played the organ for seventy years, is buried in the graveyard alongside her cousin Violet Martin, with whom she formed the literary partnership of “Somerville & Ross”, writing such works as The Irish RM.

Many distinguished musicians have played at the Festival over the years, including:


David Agnew, Anúna, Benjamin Apple, The Carducci Quartet, Kenneth Edge, The Callino Quartet, Finghin Collins, The Contempo Quartet, Elizabeth Cooney, The Crawford Piano Trio, Thérèse Fahy, John Finucane, Jonathan Freeman-Attwood, Gerard Gillen, Evelyn Grant, Camilla Griesel, Ivan Ilic, The Irish Guitar Quartet, Brigid Knowles, Catherine Leonard, Philip Martin, Mel Mercier, Natalia Milstein, The Máirtίn O’Connor Trio, John O’Conor, Geraldine O’Grady, Micheál O’Suilleabhain, Cara O’Sullivan, Redmond O’Toole, Gerald Peregrine, Ioana Petcu-Colan, Alex Petcu, Maurice Seezer, Peter Sweeney, Hugh Tinney, The RTÉ Vanbrugh Quartet…

Students from the Cork School of Music who have also played a significant role in developing the concerts include:
Aoife Burke, Elizabeth Cooney, Sophie Creaner, Ed Creedon, Cian Ducrot, Eoin Ducrot, Jonathan Freeman-Atwood, Brendan Garde, Elaine Kelly, Christine Kenny, David Kenny, Catherine Leonard, Tríona Milne, Siún Milne, Hugh Murray, Tom O Drisceoil, Conor Palliser, Caoimhe De Paor, Ioana Petcu-Colan, Nicky Sweeney…

Categories
Main pages

Skibbereen

The thriving town of Skibbereen is the capital of West Cork, centre for all the agricultural, industrial and tourist activities of a wide region.

Skibbereen located on the bank of the River Ilen is the ‘hub’ of West Cork, it is the ideal base from which to discover the choice of beautiful fishing villages – all within 10-15 minutes’ drive. Mizen Head, Baltimore, Glandore, Union Hall, Ballydehob and Castletownshend – all quaint and remarkably unspoilt. There is also Carberys Hundred Isles, some of the islands such as Sherkin and Cape Clear just minutes by boat from Baltimore in West Cork.

Skibbereen is situated just 1hr 20 minutes from Cork or 2hrs from Kerry.
Skibbereen things to see and do:
Skibbereen Heritage Centre located in the restored Old Gasworks Building riverside in Skibbereen town is where you will find a number of interesting Exhibitions including, The Great Famine Commemoration Exhibition and The Lough Hyne Interpretative Centre.
Follow the Skibbereen Trail, a historical walking tour of old Skibbereen and visit sites which have direct links with the Great Famine. Include the West Cork Art Centre, a focus for many of the activities of local artists, craftspeople and writers who have come to live in this area.
In the immediate area, there is an 18-hole golf course, game and sea angling, coarse fishing, walking and cycling, scuba diving and sites of international archaeological interest. Experience on a boat trip some of West Cork’s now renowned sea life activity Dolphins, Whales and more, who seem to favour our Irish waters. Also nearby is Lough Hyne, Irelands first Marine Nature Reserve.

How to find Lough Hyne
Lough Hyne can be found just a 10 minute drive from Skibbereen town centre. Wonderful to explore in all weathers but particularly on a fine day. The area is popular for Kayaking, Snorkelling, exploring the Marine Life, swimming, forest, road walking and more. From Skibbereen town centre you will follow the N71, then 2nd exit at the roundabout following the R595 and at the next roundabout again take the 2nd exit and then the next left, slight right, left again at arrive at Lough Hyne West Cork.
Find out about the history, folklore and formation of this renowned natural phenomenon at Skibbereen Heritage Centre. But Skibbereen, the town, has more to offer. When the Irish Famine took its toll in the mid 1800’s, the town of Skibbereen was one of the worst affected in all of Ireland, a fact testified by the mass graves at Abbeystrewry, where almost 10,000 are buried. This era is remembered in The Great Famine Exhibition at Skibbereen Heritage Centre. There are also guided historical tours around Skibbereen so why not explore its history. Skibbereen Festivals include Skibbereen’s annual Carbery Agricultural Show in July. The West Cork Garden Trail is held annually throughout June and you can find local gardens to visit i.e. Pinetree Lodge Garden, Drishane House & Gardens Castletownshend and Glebe Gardens Baltimore.
Cycling in West Cork and the Skibbereen area
There are 3 main routes such as the 3 hour Atlantic Coastal Loop taking in many of West Corks beautiful headlands, the 3 house Baltimore Loop, and around the Lough Hyne area, and finally the Mount Kid Loop a 3 to 4 hour cycle taking in Roaringwater Bay, Mount Kid and back to Skibbereen. If you have not brought your own bicycle you can hire a bike in Skibbereen town and away you go. Cool off at the local Tragumna Beach for all those swimmers and paddlers. Drive up to Toe Head and take in some wonderful views.

Skibbereen’s Farmers Market held every Saturday morning in Skibbereen’s town centre is a delight, where you can purchase local produce such as fruit, vegetables and herbs, freshly baked breads and cakes, local West Cork Honey, cheeses (such as the well-known award winning Gubbeen Cheese) and organic meats, and locally caught fish, what could be better, and local crafts such as Bog Wood Sculptures, Hand Crafted Furniture from Irish Timber and Local Pottery.

With 26 pubs in the town and award winning restaurants scattered all around, there is also plenty to do in the evening. Skibbereen truly offers the visitor an a la carte menu, with something for everyone’s taste – great places to visit, superb shopping, boating, cycling, whale watching, rowing, not to mention the famous Olympian rowing local stars the O’Donovan brothers, excellent accommodation, a wide selection of Skibbereen pubs and restaurants and that relaxed atmosphere that has made West Cork famous throughout the world.
Local towns, villages and islands close to Skibbereen:
Ballydehob
Baltimore
Union Hall
Leap
Glandore
Castletownshend
Schull
Rosscarbery
Sherkin Island accessed by boat from Baltimore
Cape Clear Island accessed by boat from Baltimore
Heir Island accessed by boat from Castletownbere
Long Island accessed by boat from Schull

Categories
Main pages

Sponsors and Friends

2022 SPONSORS OF ST. BARRAHANE’S CHURCH FESTIVAL OF MUSIC


Field’s SuperValu, Skibbereen

Britta and Thomas Drewes

Charles McCarthy Real Estate

SPONSORSHIP SCHEME

Our summer Festival in the past comprised six concerts during July and August at St. Barrahane’s Church, Castletownshend but in 2018, however, we made a big change by organising extra concerts using additional venues such as Abbeystrewry Church, Skibbereen, Christ Church, Glandore and Myross Wood House, Leap

This turned out to be a great success and we endeavor to continue this, but staging quality concerts of classical and Irish traditional music is expensive. The money is raised mainly by ticket sales and grants when available. The average attendance is 70 -100 people but the profits, if any, are small after paying the musicians’ fees ranging from €600-2500 and all other expenses such as advertising posters and signage, piano hire, printing of programmes, hiring of porta-loos and so forth.

The purpose of the St. Barrahane’s Church Music Festival is:
• promoting high quality classical music, old and new
• giving enjoyment to locals and tourist
• providing a stage for artists, established as well as aspiring ones, especially from the Cork School of Music.

To help with these expenses, last year we introduced two schemes, a SPONSORSHIP Scheme and a FRIENDS Scheme.

For the Sponsorship Scheme, we are seeking a donation of €250 in support from local enterprises to cover the six summer season concerts in July and August and the additional concerts outside of the Festival.

This entitles a sponsor to:
•The Company logo/name displayed prominently at the concert venue.
•The Company logo/name on all our publications and brief message if available.
•A full page on our website and/or links to yours.
•Verbal acknowledgement before commencement of all the concert.
•Invitation to a Sponsors/Friends Reception at the end of the Season.
•Reserved seats (but not free) if attending any concert – 24 hour notification required.
The Future: The costs of staging concerts continue to increase. We have a constant battle to keep down our admission price while at the same time maintaining the high quality of performers and concerts. If we are to remain viable, your support would be invaluable and very much appreciated.

Yours sincerely,

Reverend John Ardis,
Hon. Chairperson

FRIENDS OF ST. BARRAHANE’S CHURCH FESTIVAL OF MUSIC


Alwyn Harris – taxis

Ita and Tom Sheehy

Anonymous Donor


FRIENDS SCHEME

€100 entitles a Friend to reserve two seats (24 hour notification required and tickets also have to be purchased).
€150 per couple entitles Friends to reserve four seats (24 hour notification required and tickets also have to be purchased).
Friend’s names will be listed on our concert programmes and also on our website, unless otherwise instructed. Subscription is valid for one calendar year.

Please contact us by email or phone if you require more information.
We look forward to hearing from you.

Many thanks for your continued support and interest.

Yours sincerely,
Reverend John Ardis, Hon. Chairperson

Categories
Main pages

Castletownshend

Castletownshend village sits on the north side of Castlehaven Harbour in the parish of Castlehaven, which owes its name to the castle that protects the haven. Anciently it was called Glanbarrahane, named from a deep rocky glen dedicated to St. Barrahane, a local 5th century hermit saint.

The attractive village of Castletownshend is situated on the coast about 8km from Skibbereen. The village developed around the castle, which was built in the mid 1600s by the Townshends and is the seat of the family. The steeply inclined main street runs down to the castle, the quayside and the harbour

A unique feature of Castletownshend is the two sycamore trees growing in the roundabout in the centre of the village. The present sycamores replace two trees planted in the 1800s. There are many buildings around the village of interest, a very pleasing village to explore not forgetting the Castle and local church.

Take time out after the village to make your way to the Knockdrum Stone Fort, a reminder of times past, a rewarding sight along with the views from here, just a half mile out of Castletownshend

Castletownbere has some great walks in West Cork to enjoy such as Dunboy Woods and Bullig Bay Coastal Loop Walks, Eyeries Coastal Loop Walks at Creha Quay and Coastguard Loop walks. The wonderful Sheeps Head Walk and Ahakista Trail take in the beautiful Sheeps Head Peninsula area with the Lighthouse Loop Walk and Poets Way Coastal Walk and nearby the Ardgroom Pulleen Coastal Walk. Walking on Bere Island, an island just off Castletownbere reached by a short ferry journey, is worthwhile to take in the beauty on the island, and walk the Arnakinna, Rerrin and Doonbeg Bere Walking Routes.

If you are looking to explore towns and villages close to Castletownshend you can visit, Skibbereen, Leap, Rosscarbery, Clonakilty or Drimoleague and Bere Island just a short boat trip from Castletownbere

Village Church Saint Barrahane’s Church Castletownshend (Church of Ireland) stands on a hill with wonderful views overlooking the village and it is located close to the castle. It contains beautiful stained glass windows by Harry Clarke and many historic relics and memorials to the families of the village. Of particular note are three large stone tablets, which tell the history of the founding families, many of whose members are buried in the peaceful graveyard attached to the church.

Somerville and Ross Somerville and Ross were the pseudonyms of cousins Dr. Edith Somerville (1858-1949) and Violet Florence Martin, pen name Martin Ross (1862-1915), who wrote a series of humorous novels and short stories. Most of their books were set in a background of West Cork at the turn of the century and told of the experiences of an Irish Resident Magistrate. Their best known writings were first published in 1928 under the title The Irish R.M. Complete and later Experiences of an Irish R.M.

The Irish R.M. and The Real Charlotte were serialised for television in the 1980’s. During their life together the cousins resided at Drishane House on the outskirts of Castletownshend village. Violet Martin died in 1915 from the effects of a riding accident some years earlier. Edith Somerville continued to live at Drishane between her travels abroad until her death in 1949 at an advanced age. Somerville and Ross are buried in the graveyard at the rear of St. Barrahane’s Church, marked by two simple headstones. In the church is the organ Dr. Somerville played for many decades.

Castletownshend has beautiful Pubs for a pre- or after concert drink where you have a good chance of meeting the artists too:

Lil McCarthy’s, intimate, with a beautiful garden

Mary Ann’s Pub & Restaurant, dinner reservation advisable, Tel.: +353 (0)28-36146

For accommodation there are various B&Bs:

The Castle Guesthouse, Tel.: +353 (0)28-36100

Seaview, Tel.: +353 (0)28-36129

Atlantic View, Tel.: +353 (0)28-36440

Sandycove house, Tel.: +353 (0)28-36223

For more information contact:

Skibbereen Tourist Office: Tel.: +353 (0)28-21766, Fax: +353 (0)28-21353